Wednesday, October 12, 2011

How I Creatively Anti-Steal

   I take information in all the time; being in primarily lecture-based clases, its a required skill.  But how do I manage to not take notes word for word and effectively keep from plagiarizing?  Therein lies the secret to success.
   When Im in a lecture class, I take notes in a variety of ways, whether it be electronic or tangible.  I take out my handy-dandy notebook and put pencil (or pixel) to paper, and get to work chronicling my source of information.  I paraphrase what I hear, so that while the information is true, I am able to maintain a sense of my own creativity while also keeping my facts straight.  But what happens if i feel that I need a direct quote?  Well thats exactly what I do: I put quotation marks down and transcribe what needs to be said verbatim.  Writing word for word takes too much time and effectively minimizes any chance of understanding what is heard; instead, you tend to just write the words, not listen to them or understand what you're hearing.  Thats where listening and writing simultaneously is a key factor.  However, notes must be carefully sourced so that plagiarism is avoided.  But how do I do that?
   If Im reading a book or website, and I happen to come across a snippet of information i deem worthy for entrane into my thesis or extended essay, I make note that all steps to avoid stealing work must be done.  If its a website, I take down its URL and cite it through whichever fashion is easier for me; likewise with books or periodicals, I also cite them in the appropriate manner.  If I directly quote something, I mark down in my notes where Im citing something, and then make the proper effort to formalize the citation.  Its not difficult to avoid stealing while taking note or writing a paper, you just need to be creative in how you memorize the information and present direct quotations back.
   Taking notes isnt difficult if you manage yourself and your notes carefully, its what I do every day.  Not stealing is as easy as 1..2..easybib...3....

No comments:

Post a Comment